The Process of Learning
On this site, we show you different techniques you can use to improve your learning ability.
Once you graduate from college you are expected to continue learning. You are required to be able to learn on your own for the rest of your life. Spending an hour focusing on the meta-issue of the learning process will provide you with a faster-learning ability.
There have been many studies on the various ways people learn. These are techniques you can try immediately to find the ones that work best for you.
You can also check out Colin Rose and Brain Tracy’s accelerated learning and JJ Gibbs, Dancing with Your Books.
1. If you have a goal attached to your learning, you will find you learn faster and better. Learning with a goal in mind connects you more with what you are doing and gives you the motivation to learn in an easier fashion. Learning for the sake of a secondary benefit makes learning more difficult.
2. There is a way to learn. Acquiring the knowledge on how to learn is the ultimate skill you need to gain the greatest rewards. You will put less effort into learning if you learn the proper way to do it.
3. Organizing and structuring the information you are trying to learn helps you to learn the information faster. It may seem like a little tedious rather than delving right into the information, however, organizing the material you are learning will be more effective in the long run.
4. There is a theory that intelligence is something that is not necessarily fixed. There is some evidence that intelligence, getting things done cognitively, can be increased by various mental activities.
5. The best way to earn more money is to continue learning. People who advance their education continually advance in their careers more than those who do not. The more you learn, the greater your chances of developing higher in your chosen profession.
6. The more knowledge you acquire, the better you become at surviving life. Your survival skills are directly attached to your knowledge. You have a greater chance of overcoming life’s obstacles by gaining relevant skills through knowledge.
7. Our memory is a tricky thing. Everything we go through in life becomes a conscious or unconscious memory. Some things we remember and some we forget. To improve our ability to remember more than we forget, living in a constant state of learning increases the ability to access memories that may otherwise be forgotten.
There are a number of aspects and stages of learning. Some are available to you immediately when you take a moment to learn something. These stages are there to be applied through every aspect of your life.
The Right State of Mind
You have six aspects to getting yourself in the right frame of mind to begin learning. These six aspects are:
1. Find a deep, personal reason for your learning. As stated above, you will connect better with the material you are attempting to learn if you have a reason to learn it.
2. Take your reason for learning and turn it into motivation. If you feel something on an emotional learning when it comes to learning, you will find that you learn easier. Being emotionally charge sometimes is all you need to motivate yourself to continue pushing through your learning journey.
3. Make the material you are learning relatable to you. You can take the information you are learning and apply it to your life in a way that is understandable to you. The more you can relate to the material, the more you will find that you remember it.
4. Find a way to be excited about what you are learning. The more excited you are about what you are learning, the more you will learn in the long run. Embracing your education will increase and enhance the learning experience.
5. Be realistic and positive about the material you are going to learn. Approaching your education with a positive attitude makes learning easier. Keep your expectation on how well you will learn the information on the positive side of life. A positive attitude reaps positive rewards.
6. Provide yourself with a calm working environment. You want to have a clear mind. Our brains function better when we are relaxed and calm. We think better.
A Variety of Ways of Input
These are just a few ways to obtain new information:
- Use outlines
- Focus on your strengths in learning
- Browse through your material before studying it
- Focus on what you will gain from the information learned
- Question yourself about what you have learned
- Mind maps
- Summarize the material out loud
- Internally visualize the material
- Take good notes
- Utilize study partners
- Use a highlighter to mark new information
Exploring from Different Angles
According to Howard Gardner, there are 7 Intelligences. There are several ways to look at information. These are the 7 ways:
- Interpersonal Intelligence
- Linguistic Intelligence
- Spatial Intelligence
- Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence
- Musical Intelligence
- Logical-Mathematical Intelligence
- Interpersonal Intelligence
When learning you can cut things into appropriate chunks. The size of the chunk is determined by what works best for you.
- This is a list of steps to make memorizing easier.
- Review your notes often
- Take breaks in-between to give your mind a rest
- Utilize multi sensory memories
- Use keywords
- Use flashcards
- Take time before bed to review
- Use chunks of information at a time
- Use visual association tools
Showing You Know
One of the things that help us learn is teaching someone else what we know. This imprints our knowledge and embeds it in our minds. Test yourself, create practice test and assignments for yourself or take a moment to teach someone what you have learned to gain confidence in your knowledge.
Reviewing and Reflection on the Process
In an effort to improve your learning abilities and your ability to teach yourself, review your process once a week. This will give you the opportunity to take note of what works and what doesn’t work so you can make adjustments as you go along.